Fitzrovia Business Crime Reduction Partnership
Over the last month Theft Issues have been increasing across the whole of Camden but particularly in and around Fitzrovia. Last week alone saw reports of 62 theft offences reported to the Police in the Bloomsbury Ward area.
In response to this our Neighbourhood Policing Team and other Policing teams have been targeting crime hot-spots with additional patrols and highlighting issues to potential targets.
Whilst the Police continue to tackle those involved in mobile phone crime, we ask you to consider the following steps to help prevent you and your colleagues becoming a victim of crime:
- Ensure you keep a record of your IMEI – you will need this if your phone is lost or stolen.
- Register your phone for FREE on the Immobilise website. This helps Police to identify you as the owner and return your handset if lost or stolen.
- Use security or PIN locks to protect your data and prevent the phone being used if stolen. Try to ensure these are not easily guessed, such as 1234, or your birthday.
- When not in use, never leave your phone unattended in a public place or vehicle.
- Take particular care of your phone at bars, cafes, coffee-shops, restaurants and music venues – thieves have targeted these venues.
- If using your phone in public, stay alert and be aware of what’s going on around you.
- Consider installing a tracker application on your smartphone, it could help trace your device if stolen. If you are unsure which ‘app’ to install seek advice from the manufacturer of your smartphone. If your device is stolen, act quickly – inform the Police and tell them you have a tracker app installed.
If your phone is stolen, report it to the Police and your network provider. Ensure you have the IMEI number available for the Police. Your network will provide this free of charge